Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Weekend Visitors

I kept telling folks that I would bake over this past weekend. It never happened. Instead I hung out with my sisters and ate way too much. I wasn't too upset.

The weekend started off with a trip up to Columbia, MD for the Fleet Foxes concert at the Merriweather Post Pavilion.
I'd never been before and wasn't quite sure what to expect. I knew there was a pavilion and a lawn. Unfortunately it was raining and my camera is not waterproof, so all I got were some blurry Ipod photos. So let me try to describe it... the main concert grounds are shaped like a slice of pie. With the pavilion at the tip and a nicely sloped hill radiating out from there. There were numerous food stalls going up the sides, all mostly selling the same thing. I'd recommend packing a picnic dinner though, as the prices seemed quite steep. We had a nice meal of cheese (Gouda and triple X sharp cheddar), bread (sourdough, my favorite!), and fruit before heading in.

Due to the rain, all of the lawn ticket holders were invited inside the pavilion, yay! The concert was fabulous, only starting... half an hour late. What is it with this practice of concerts not starting on time? And how can it be stopped? The concert was good though. I'd pretend to be able to review music, but I'm not one of those people that can pick things out. Like, oh they were pitchy or weren't keeping the tempo or whatever. But in any case the opening band, The Walkmen, were good but I'm not running out to buy a CD. I think they got a bit farther from the folk feel that I was expecting. Fleet Foxes was fabulous, but, when you like a band enough to buy tickets to a concert, what else would you say? They have a nice folk-rock sound. Yep, that's right. Folk rock.

The rest of the weekend involved some very delicious cupcakes from Lavender Moon and Alexandria Cupcakes. I've already got a post on Lavender Moon, though I think I could probably write odes to their S'mores cupcake. And Alexandria Cupcakes will have a forthcoming review.



After Lavender Moon and Alexandria Cupcakes, we attempted a third cupcake in one afternoon... and failed. We got all the way out to Stickyfingers, looked at the display, looked at each other, and decided we just couldn't do it. We did however get some of the tomato soup, in hopes that this would temper the feeling of sweets overload. The soup was actually pretty good. A nice tomato-y flavor, not chunky but it wasn't thin like Campbell's; it had a little texture to it. We all agreed that it would have been fabulous with a nice hunk of crusty bread on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment