Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookies

Growing up, my family got a box of fancy schmancy toffee from my Aunt every year. I wrinkled my nose and shook my head, no thank you. Toffee? What's that? Nuts? Eww. Luckily my taste buds have gotten much less picky as I've gotten older. I eventually tried that toffee, and actually kind of enjoyed it. Then one day I found a chocolate toffee cookie at Whole Foods, and wow. Was it ever tasty. Not wanting to make a habit out of spending three dollars on a cookie, I decided to make up my own.


I've had this recipe for chewy chocolate chip cookies for ages. It's a decent chocolate chip cookie recipe, for when I want something other than the classic Toll House cookies of course =) and i thought it would hold the extra toffee pieces well.

I made mine a little smaller than the original recipe called for, I was taking these to a function and wanted the most bang for my buck. Still good, but if you want that 'big, fat, chewy', don't skimp on the amount of dough per cookie.

Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookies
3 dozen or so

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter - melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg yolk
1 egg
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup toffee pieces

First thing you'll want to do is set the oven to 325°.

Cream the butter, white and brown sugars. Add in the vanilla and the egg and egg yolks.

Add in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. 

Spoon the dough onto cookie sheets and bake 15 minutes or until they get slightly golden.

Then, remember to nibble on the broken cookies; it's your duty as the baker to taste test =)

No comments:

Post a Comment