Saturday, October 15, 2011

Taste of DC 2011

So I was completely oblivious to the fact that Taste of DC was occurring over Columbus Day weekend until that Saturday, when someone off-handedly mentioned it. And I was like, say what?! At that moment, I knew what my weekend goal was; make it into DC for some delicious food.

I held off until Monday, in hopes that tourists and all those folks who had to work would be otherwise occupied. And, it actually wasn't so bad. The lines were good, we didn't have to wait more than a few minutes at any of the booths we stopped at. Granted, the one booth I really wanted to stop at (Wicked Waffle) had a line significantly longer than the others... so we skipped it.

Our first stop was at Ben's Chili Bowl. Where I got this


A chili half-smoke. Yum, the chili was perfectly spicy. My first Ben's experience was delicious, maybe I'll attempt the trek out to the actual shop sometime...

Next up was some Indian food, from Nirvana Express. I chose the samosa, which was delicious. Mostly filled with potato, the occasional other veggie mixed in as well. What really sold me on the samosa though was the sauce that they drizzled over top before handing it over. I have no idea what it was, but I do know that it was mighty tasty. 


From there we moved on to Irish. Sort-of. James Hoban's had a booth, and given the amount of food I'd already consumed, I thought well, I can probably handle a baby quiche. Is quiche Irish? Have I just missed this fact all these years? Oh well. It turned out to be more than I was expecting in a serving, but it was very tasty. Nice and eggy with little bits of ham and cheese. And on a side-note, next time someone tells you that the 'baby quiche' is made with babies... ask them if the babies are real or fake, as you only eat real babies... trust me, the reaction is awesome* 


To end the deliciousness I chose a simple bag of cinnamon almonds. These are a new favorite of mine after years of shunning any sort of nut. I wish they had been warm though, freshly made cinnamon almonds are hard to beat.



* not intended to offend anyone, sorry if it did. You're just getting a better picture of my bizarre sense of humor...

No comments:

Post a Comment