Friday, October 21, 2011

Fluffy Pancakes

I hardly ever have time in the mornings to make actual breakfast food before work. Ok, well, if I woke up half an hour earlier I would... but who wants to do that? So when my day off rolled around today, I jumped at the chance to make something breakfasty. 



I found this recipe a while back on the Kitchn. Having grown up with pancakes more akin to crepes, yet still delicious of course, I was intrigued by these supposedly cloud like pancakes. And given that thes pancakes contain a whopping tablespoons of baking powder, they would be defying chemistry to not be fabulously fluffy, right? 

Pancakes
makes about 12 pancakes

2 cups flour
4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups milk
4 tbsp vegetable oil

Pancakes are super easy. Mix the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients. Stir. This batter turns out kinda lumpy, and that's just fine. You don't want to over stir and deflate all that wonderful fluffiness from the baking powder. 

I like to turn the burner on while I'm finishing mixing up the batter, so the pan is hot for the first round of pancakes. I'd say medium or medium-low heat, but it's hard to tell with a gas stove. I used a nice sized serving spoon to portion out the batter, maybe a third of a cup or so. Let the edges of the pancakes start to turn up before flipping, you'll also start to see little air bubbles coming up.

Do be careful, when I first made these it took a pancake or two to get the timing right. These seem to be so fluffy that if you aren't careful the middle will still be bit gooey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment