Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake?

Who knew DC could get earthquakes? Not me, that's for sure. And believe you me, my childhood 'earthquake drills' did me no good. When it first started, I honestly thought there was just an unusually heavy cart rolling by my desk this afternoon. Things tend to shake a bit in our building when things go by. Whether it's the flimsy cubicle walls or what, even people walking by can sometimes cause little rattles. I was so not prepared for the larger tremors that caused floors to shake, things to fall over, and cars out in the garage to jump.

Now, I realize that in the grand scheme of things, this was probably a pretty tame earthquake. Folks out in earthquake zones are probably shaking their heads; much akin to when I giggle at the overreactions to snow in southern states.

After evacuating and standing around for a good half hour we were finally let back in, only to be told to get our things and leave. Afternoon off? Ok!

My roomie and I celebrated our afternoon off with a trip to the farmers market that is usually winding down by the time we can get there after work. It was unusually sparse... could it be the earthquake kept some of the vendors away? I did manage to buy myself some Bison jerky, which I've never had before. Don't worry, I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it.

After reports of pictures falling off walls and knick-knacks off bookcases, I was a little afraid to survey the damage to the apartment. When I walked in... wasn't sure there had even been an earthquake. We must have been very lucky, the only evidence I found was this

Poor little German doll fell over, her arm twisted out of socket. 

All things considered, a little doll surgery is nothing compared to what others have experienced in the aftermath of an earthquake. Let us all thank our lucky stars that we got out of this mainly unscathed.

No comments:

Post a Comment