Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Lemon Thyme Potato

A while back I bookmarked this recipe from The Kitchn and I finally got to it a few days ago. I tend to focus in on baked goods so the savory recipes get pushed to the side in favor of chocolate this or peppermint that. Understandable, but so not fair to all the delicious non sweets out there.

I'm not sure how many of you went camping when you were young (or not so young), but this is like a grown up version of a foil pack. Way back when we used to dump all sorts of raw veggies, salt, pepper, and some oil into foil, ball it up and shove it under the coals of a campfire. This took me back.



Lemon Thyme Potato
altered for 1 potato

1 potato - I used russet
1/2 lemon
Garlic
Thyme
Oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

The first thing you'll want to do is slice the potato. You want to make about 1/4 inch slices, and you do not want to slice all the way through. The potato slices should all end up attached to each other at the bottom.

Drizzle oil over the potato, getting some in between the slices. I actually forgot this step, don't tell! The potato turned out fine, I just let it cook for a bit longer than called for.

If you're using fresh herbs, prep those. Slice the garlic thin, and remove the thyme from the stalk. I used dried, not as good, but it works in a pinch. 
Also prep the lemon, slice it as thinly as you can. I got about 6 slices from a half lemon, plus two little end pieces that I didn't use in the potato.

Insert the garlic, thyme, and lemon slices in between the potato slices. The lemon has a tendency to pop out, just push it back in. When you wrap the potato in foil that will help keep things together.

Put the foil wrapped potato in the oven for about 45 minutes, mine took more like an hour. But again, that's probably because I forgot the oil. You can test the potato at 45 minutes with a fork, and if it isn't tender enough just shove it back in the oven for a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment